Debugging Complex Situations
I have been working my way through debugging the refactored code.
There have been countless bugs to resolve. But I am happy with the new code architecture. Bugs are easy to resolve now.
One bug seemed like an Engine bug where my exported var settings were erased. This kind of bug surfaced in the past as an issue and was apparently resolved. I would report it, but I am unable to set up a mini-project to repeat the bug.
I had a complex scene containing all the Parts with their exported var settings that kept being reset. So I resorted to replacing all the exported vars with concrete values set in each of the individual part class scripts.
By creating various circuits such as the above one I was able to find unusual bug scenarios that I hadn’t foreseen.
The busses have to act like bidirectional wires. This entailed naturally propagating values when connecting wires. And the loop back bus has introduced a stack-overflow error due to a feedback loop I guess.
Also, I needed to take into consideration what port affected a change to a bus since it may have been a single wire. Hard to explain all that here.
Funny bug: I displayed a backwards C in the 7-segment display. It can be a mind-bender when mapping the LED segments to values.
Making progress …
More Devlog entries
Most recent first
- 2021 07 26 Logic Simulator Update
- 2021 07 24 - Launch of V1.0
- 2021 07 23 - Truth Tables
- 2021 07 22 Progress Update
- 2021 07 21 - Simple Computer Simulation
- 2021 07 16 - Community Forum
- 2021 07 15 - Community News
- 2021 07 11 - Save and Load ROM Data
- 2021 07 09 - Documentation About The Logic Simulator
- 2021 07 08 - Big Progress
- 2021 07 07 - RAM and ROM Testing Complete
- 2021 07 06 - Implementing Tests
- 2021 07 05 - Cool algorithm for binary text string
- 2021 06 30 - End of June - Refactoring Continues
- 2021 06 29 Community
- 2021 06 28 Implementing More OOP
- 2021 06 27 Memory Parts
- 2021 06 26 Improving the Memory Manager
- 2021 06 25 Memory Data
- 2021 06 24 Memory Management
- 2021 06 23 First Devlog Entry